Hot (uncrossed) Spiced Buns from Breadzilla’s Bakery!
In a mixing bowl put :
- 2 lbs bread flour (white)
- 1 lb wholemeal flour
- 8 oz mixed peel
- 10 oz currants
- packet of rapid bread yeast (don’t mess with traditional)
- One and a half teaspoons mixed spice
- Half teaspoon ground cloves
- Half teaspoon cinnamon (note add more spice to taste if you like)
- 3 eggs
Melt 4 oz unsalted butter in 3/4 pint warmed milk and add to the above with 1/2 pint warm water
Using the mixer, mix to a good, moist dough using the dough hook. Cover with cling film and set aside to approximately double in size – about 90 minutes
Oil you hands and take lumps of dough – fashion into small balls and put onto a baking sheet covered with baking parchment. Allow to rise about 45 minutes under a cover (tea-towel etc)
Bake in oven at 200degC (375 degF) for 15 to 20 minutes. Put onto cooling racks and brush with a saturated sugar solution to glaze.
Allow to stand for 10-15 minutes – split – fill with butter – eat.